The Tudor trademark was established in 1926 under the Swiss company Veuve de Philippe Hüther on behalf of Hans Wilsdorf, also founder of Rolex SA. It wasn’t until 1936 that Wilsdorf himself took control of Tudor, and later went on to found the company Montres Tudor SA in 1946.

Wilsdorf intended the Tudor brand to be positioned as a more affordable alternative his more premium Rolex brand. Originally, Tudor watches were equipped with non-manufacture movements, whilst using Rolex cases and bracelets.

Tudor watches are primarily known for their tool watches, having produced watches for both professional divers and the several militaries including the US Navy SEALs, French Marine Nationale, Canadian Navy and the Jamaican Defense Force.

To this day, the Geneva based brand is owned by The Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, a charitable entity created by its founder, as is Rolex.